Below are FAQs for motorcycle touring in Vietnam. For FAQs about cycling in Vietnam, please click here.

What type of clothing should I bring?

Please note that Vietnam is a developing country and size selection and/or quality products are real issues. Local products are cheap but almost just one size for all, or the quality is poor. Here are some suggestions:

Clothing: helmet, rain gloves, Wellington boots (rubber boots for the rainy season from April to September), summer gloves, balaclava, t-shirt, socks & underwear, long-sleeved shirt, turtleneck shirt, extra jeans, light jacket, leather chaps, zip-lock bags, riding boots, bandanna, sunglasses, and goggles.
Personal items: basic toiletries, emergency cash, sunscreen, and earplugs.
Emergency items: first aid kit, emergency contact number, list medical conditions, list medications, flashlight, chargers, and duct tape.
Miscellaneous: small towel, bath towel, trash bags, bungee cords, camera, and cargo net.

I drive a large displacement motorbike back home. I am afraid that the Honda 125cc will not be up to the task. Can’t we drive anything larger?

Vietnamese traffic laws prohibited the use of motorbikes larger than 175cc until May 2007 when Vietnam joined WTO. It took some time to have big bikes imported into Vietnam. However, it’s likely that not many shops rent out these bikes. Import tax is 90% and VAT is 10% so a touring bike here costs twice as much as in your country! The Honda CGL 125cc or Honda XR 125cc or 150cc will not break the sound barrier but they easily carry two people down all of Vietnam’s roads though not really comfortable for the pillion passenger. They are light, balanced, and fun to ride. As of early 2008, we offered the upgrade to Honda XR 250cc. Click to find out bike options.

Can you arrange accommodation for us in Hanoi?

We can make reservations for you at two hotels in the heart of Hanoi. In addition, we can also organize a car to pick you up from the airport. The central location makes it easy to get around the city and the hotel offers comfortable and spacious rooms in the US$30-80 per night price range (2 and 3-star standard). They also provide safe storage for baggage during the motorbike or off-road tours. For more details, click here.

Do you carry everything on the bike, or would I leave some of my luggage at “base” until returning?

We don’t provide saddlebags as they block traffic when we ride through many towns on the road. It’s best to strap a medium size bag or rucksack onto the bike’s back rack. You can store any other luggage safely at your hotel or at our office.

I hear the traffic is crazy in Vietnam. Is it safe?

Traffic in Hanoi is chaotic to the uninitiated driver. For this reason, we always use the easiest roads (even if they are longer) to get out of town. We can also arrange for riders to be dropped off at the city limits by taxi at a small extra charge.

Once out in the countryside, the level of traffic drops off remarkably and on some roads, it is possible to not pass a single vehicle for the whole day. That said, it must be emphasized that the conditions here are demanding and extremely defensive driving is imperative. All riders must be very careful and be fully aware that the purpose of the trip is not to ride performance bikes hard into the bends, but rather to trundle along nice and slow and enjoy the sites and sounds. Once a ride is confirmed, click this link to have more details. Constant support from your guide will make your ride as safe as possible.

What do I do and expect when I have an accident?

First, call us and see if we can help before the police come. Normally, the police will take all bikes and parties back to the police station and allow 24 hours for parties to settle before any legal action is taken.

Vietnam can be a very strange country regarding how the accident is solved, just as the way people ride. The bigger usually pay i.e car drivers to pay motorcyclists, motorcyclists pay cyclists etc. However, if you have an accident, first you have to talk with the other party (via our guide) to find out who has to pay and how much. If you don’t agree with each other, then we call the police and they will do their job (usually takes time) and you have to stay in Vietnam until they have the official report. Vietnamese people usually expect you to pay, even if you are right. Don’t be surprised and stay calm as our guide will help you to solve the situation.

If you purchased an insurance policy, and if you request we will contact the insurance company and ask them for instructions. You will need to pay us all phone calls in this case.

I’m travelling alone, is it possible to join any existing groups?

Where possible we try to link individuals together as long as they are of similar driving experience. The earlier the better. Check out at Late Availability.

When is the best time to come to the north of Vietnam for a tour?

In the North, there’s no best time to ride. There are four distinct seasons, each with its own unique advantages. Summer runs from April to October, winter from November to March. The hottest months are June and August, the coldest month is February. Expect the possibility of rain from April to August, while winter months are normally dry except when a winter storm settles in.

How long do we ride each day?

A difficult question as in most cases we ride from morning to the late afternoon but on average not more than 200km per day. We try to get on the road early to make the most of the day and we enjoy lengthy stops throughout the day. On longer tours, we can accommodate a rest day from the saddle. Our bikes all have extra padding in the seats. Expect at least five hours of driving time per day.

What’s the minimum time to complete a good ride?

In order to get into the mountains and out of the delta plains, whilst completing a good loop, we need a minimum of four days. At a bare minimum, we can get onto some back roads and get a good taste of life on the road here in two days if you don’t mind a long day in the saddle.

What’s the best duration for a trip?

The perfect time frame to spend on the road would probably be eight or nine days, looking at a maximum of 12 days before the body starts to take the strain. However, for the indefatigable, we can offer a 16-day trek of the entire northern region of Vietnam or down on the Ho Chi Minh highway.

Where do the tours start?

All tours start out from Hanoi between 8-9 am. Return to Hanoi is either by road or sometimes by overnight train. In case we send the motorbikes on the train, it costs more. We usually come back in Hanoi between 2-6 pm.

Do you need a deposit?

We ask for a deposit of US$200 – US$500 in order to confirm to secure your booking(s). We will provide you with the necessary bank account details to transfer this deposit into once a ride has been agreed upon. You can also send your deposit by cards online or through Western Union cash transfer.

How do I pay you? Do you accept credit card payment?

Yes, we do accept credit card payment in our office. There is a bank service charge of 3% for Visa and MasterCard holders (4% for American Express cardholders). At certain times, we may apply surcharge as banks may offer low or very low rates comparing to black/free market rates. Deposit is made by your credit cards online, via a bank transfer or Western Union Cash Transfer. We ask that you transfer to our bank account a deposit and then final balance (cash is king in Vietnam) before the commencement of a ride. Unfortunately, PayPal applies very bad conditions to Vietnamese account holders and we don’t like their conditions.

What other expenses should we expect? How much cash do we need to take with us?

In terms of costs, we cover everything except telephone calls, tips, souvenirs, drinks, and personal medical insurance. There are often some impressive minority crafts at the markets or some more bizarre products of Chinese origin bank on US$150200 extra.

How will I meet you in Hanoi?

We will arrange a pre-departure briefing session to introduce to you the route (with maps) and the minority people with whom we’ll come into contact, provide you with all the equipment, and cover any other outstanding issues. Please print our office map here.

Is an international licence valid in Vietnam?

This is quite a complicated thing and we would point out all possibilities.

First, none of the foreign licenses is valid in Vietnam, including your country license. There are conflicting reports about this but the reality is unfortunately not good news.

However, the good news is IDP (international driving permit, 1968 Convention) is now valid in Vietnam from August 1st, 2016 with the 46/2016/ND-CP decree. In reality, the police normally accept both 1968 & 1949 Convention IDP’s. The difference is insurance companies provide insurance policies when you have a 1968 IDP (not the 1949). If you have an IDP, please also bring your home country driving license with a motorbike endorsement.

Top of page Offroad Vietnam Motorbike Adventures - FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions. International driving permit 1949 Convention is not accepted in Vietnam, it must be 1968 Convention.
Top of page Offroad Vietnam Motorbike Adventures - FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions. International driving license 1968 Convention is now accepted in Vietnam.
Top of page Offroad Vietnam Motorbike Adventures - FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions. International driving license 1968 Convention is now accepted in Vietnam.

Vietnamese laws require riders of all motor vehicles above 50cc to have a full Vietnamese driving licence (under 175cc is A1 and from 175cc is A2, 50cc or under needs road rules test certificate).


You can try this website ( to get an international driving license. They also abide by the 1968 Convention so check if they can get you this type. The application process is 100% online and takes about 3 minutes including uploading a headshot. We are not associated with them in any way so please check it for yourself. Anecdotal evidence says that this will be accepted by Vietnamese police as long as you also carry your home country licence but it’s just a translation of your home licence and has no legal authority. However, the police don’t care, but insurance companies might :)

In case you have no IDP or Vietnamese driving license, the police may stop you to check license and the official fine is about 70$US (less than 175cc) and 200$US (over 175cc) but you can negotiate to about half. It’s more to do with personal medical insurance which will be further explained below.

So what’s the importance of having a license?

The question of having or not a motorbiking driving licence mainly concerns your personal medical insurance. If you don’t have an IDP or Vietnamese driving license, you can’t purchase any local insurance policy for you. Luckily, you can buy one from companies like Allianz, CHI or World Nomads, etc. They only request your country driving license.

In fact, a driver licence is not a problem in Vietnam. In case you are working in Vietnam under contract for at least 6 months you could easily get a local driving licence. Traffic police generally don’t stop Westerners in Vietnam to check licences simply because they don’t speak good English or feel confident dealing with it. However, with younger policemen who speak English and with smartphones, things become easier for communication. Honestly, in the same time, they can deal with many other Vietnamese people. Mui Ne and Nha Trang in Southern Vietnam have been the only exception where they started checking licences.

Even Vietnam doesn’t recognize any foreign license (except IDP) but take it easy you will be ok.

How do I get an international licence?

International licenses can be provided on the spot at the motoring authority in your country (e.g. The AA in the UK or the NRMA in Australia). Take your existing national license and passport photo to their office. For a small fee, they will provide a licence along with the same lines as your existing license, valid for one year.

I’m concerned about the footwear situation; thinking about leaving walking boots at home to lighten the load, what do you recommend?

It’s essential to have strong footwear for the tour to protect your feet whilst driving. Trekking shoes or leather boots are perfect. No driving in open-toed shoes. It is possible to buy a pair of boots (including big sizes) in Hanoi for about US$25.

I’m filling out the Vietnam visa application and they ask for the name, the address of my contact in Vietnam. What should I enter?

It’s not actually necessary to enter anything in this field. If you wish you may write the details of any hotel in Hanoi. To save money and time, try our pre-approved visa letter service (you pay from 65$US in total for a 30-day tourist visa).

Do I need to have insurance for motorbiking/motorcycling in Vietnam?

Yes, you need to have personal medical insurance. Even if you are a pillion passenger, that insurance will cover any accident. If you don’t have insurance, we can help you purchase a policy from Gras Savoye Willis Vietnam ( – a French insurance broker or BaoViet – the largest national insurance company. However, they don’t cover if you have no Vietnamese motorcycle driving license which is impossible with a tourist visa. To get a Vietnamese driving license you need to have at least a three months business visa, your country motorcycle driving license, a work permit, or a sponsor. All papers need to be translated into Vietnamese at a notary office and it takes 710 days to have a converted license.

On our trips, you ride about five hours per day on average. It means you still get insured about 19 hours per day while not riding the bike with just a normal travel insurance policy.

I have more questions and don’t find the answers here.

Please contact us or we can chat with you online via WhasApp number +84913047509 or Skype, our screen name is offroadvietnam if you want more details about our FAQs.

Top of page Offroad Vietnam Motorbike Adventures - FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions