Below you can find a standard reply to common Vietnam motorbike rental inquires. In case you need more details please contact us.
Thank you for contacting us.
Bike rental conditions
Offroad Vietnam has only one office in Hanoi and below are our bike hire conditions:
– Collect and return in Hanoi. Sadly, we currently don’t hire one-way or in any place rather than Hanoi. In case you are looking to retrace Top Gear route, just consider buying a bike or try a semi-guided motorbike tour.
– Only for intermediate and experienced riders who know mechanical basics.
– 50% rental money paid before collecting bike(s) and 50% balance upon collection. If you don’t pay a deposit, we are not able to hold the bikes. Therefore, when you show up we may not have any bikes or type of bikes that you wanted to hire.
– You do your own timing and routing of your unguided trip, at least know the area you wanted to ride. You’d better stick with the main roads or you may get lost or the local authorities don’t like to see you in remote areas without a guide.
– Free advice, maps, phrase book, bike trouble shooter and tips are available when you pick up the bike(s) from our Hanoi office. In fact, we share our passion for this truly amazing country. Even a flat tire will give you a chance to have many more new friends and some clients were sad because they had no flat tire!
Bike models and prices
For current type of bikes and prices please find below. In reality, bigger bikes are always better with power and suspension. However, newer bikes are more reliable. All bikes come with electric starters.
01. Honda CGL125 2014: 15$US/bike/day
02. Honda XR125/150L 2013-2015: 25$US/bike/day
03. Honda XR150L 2016: 25$US/bike/day
04. Honda XR250 1998-2005: 35$US/bike/day
Riding gear is available at 5$US/person/day. A typical set includes a HJC 3/4 helmet, a pair of Scoyco fingerless gloves and knee and elbow protection pads which you can see at this link. In reality, it’s always best to take your own gear for the quality and size.
First, none of foreign licenses is valid in Vietnam, including your country license. There are conflicting reports about this but the reality is unfortunately not a good news.
However, the good news is IDP (international driving permit, 1968 Convention, not the 1949 Convention) is now valid in Vietnam from August 1st 2016 with the 46/2016/ND-CP decree. You can purchase an insurance policy easily when you have an IDP. Please also bring your home country driving license with motorbike endorsement.
In case you have no IDP or Vietnamese driving license, the police rarely stop you to check license unless you do something wrong. It’s more to do with personal medical insurance.
You can’t get a Vietnamese license with a tourist visa. In case you have a business visa, you need a company to sponsor you and wait 7-10 days after you arrive in Vietnam to do paperwork. This means nearly impossible to get a local license and therefore you can’t buy any insurance in Vietnam unless you have a valid IDP. Luckily, you can buy a personal medical insurance policy from companies like Allianz, CHI or World Nomads…They only request your country driving license. We don’t need a license to join our tours or hire our bikes.
Even Vietnam doesn’t recognize any foreign license (except IDP) but take it easy you will be ok. We don’t need a license to join our tours or hire our bikes. More details are at this link.
For more information about preparing your unguided trip, please follow this link.
If you have more questions or are not clear with any detail in this reply to your Vietnam motorbike rental inquires please get back to us anytime via email, Yahoo Messenger or Skype or phone.
We look forward to hearing from you soon.